Summer Series with OLLI
(l-r) The Honorable James Clyburn, US House of Representatives,
Cleveland Sellers, President of Voorhees College, Jack Bass, Historian
Straight Talk SC
The Riley Institute at Furman and the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI @ Furman) have partnered to bring to the Greenville community the annual Riley/OLLI Summer Series: Straight Talk SC. This weekly series includes high-profile speakers, academicians, and those who have on-the-ground experience with issues and topics of interest to Americans, and, in particular, South Carolinians.
Guest speakers have included U.S. Congressman James Clyburn; Costco co-founder and former CEO Jim Sinegal; U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles; U.S. Federal Judge Brucie Hendricks; Dr. Pamela Roshell, regional director of U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services; Steve Morrison, plaintiffs’ attorney in Abbeville v. S.C.; and Pulitzer Prize- winning journalist and author Isabel Wilkerson.
Please click on the tabs to the left to read about and see video and photos from each year’s series:
- 2011 The Legacy of the Civil War and the Long Road to Civil Rights
- 2012: Two South Carolinas: A look at disparities in education, justice, and health
- 2013 Healthcare reform in South Carolina
- 2014 Can’t Win for Losing: The crisis of the working poor
- 2015 Crime and Punishment: Thinking outside the cell
- 2016 Education for Life: Working together to fulfill the promise of education